Thursday, May 24, 2012

Dreaming Dead Interview


1. Can you give us an update on what is going on with the band these days?

Things are a bit on the mellow side right now. Gearing up to play a few shows in So. Cal, while working on putting new material together. Aside from that I’ve been swamped with all the 
‘business’ aspect of being in a band. Manufacturing cds & vinyl, filling order, overseeing PR, etc.
Keeps me outta trouble.

2. How would you describe the musical sound of the new album and how it differs from the older releases?

It’s hard to describe the sound of this album in general terms. There are so many different
passages throughout the album that emanate feelings of sorrow, anger, doubt, resolution. 
If anything this album, from beginning to end, takes you on an full circle experience.
And unlike previous releases it’s easy to say we wrote this album together, from the heart 
and during what might be the most challenging times of our lives.

3. What are some of the lyrical topics and subjects the band explores with the music?

My initial thought was to engulf and conceptualize the idea of nightmares 
throughout the entire album. The end result is the personification and atmosphere 
of that idea itself throughout each song. 


4. What is the meaning and inspiration behind the band’s name?

Inspired by H.P. Lovecraft. It’s somewhat of a play of words that portrays a sense 
of imbalance, challenging the idea of our inner reality or dreams vs. our surroundings. 
We dream when we sleep and when we’re awake. We die when our dreams are shattered.

5. What are some of the best shows that the band has played so far and how would you describe your stage performance?

Our best shows were definitely on the Nile tour we did a few years back. Best crowds, bands, etc.
Our set usually runs between 30 to 40min. We mix things up a lot between our 2 album. We play very closely to the songs. Once someone told me we sound just like the album, but I feel we play better live than in the studio. Our performances are always high energy and high quality.

6. Do you have any touring plans for the new release?

We’re currently piecing together a  small West Coast tour for July 2012. Other
than that, for the time being, we’re keeping it fairly local.



7. Currently you are unsigned are you looking for a label and if so, what kind of label do you feel that would be a perfect fit for your music?

At this point I have completely abandoned the idea of searching for a label. It’s a huge
waste of time for me to force that idea after all my efforts in finding one and for absolutely 
nothing to come of it. 
The perfect fit for our music is a label that believes and ready to make shit happen.

8. On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of extreme metal?

After releasing the album we have received tons of amazing reviews from all over the world,
orders from Germany, Finland, France, Spain, etc. The response has been fantastic!

9. Are there any other projects besides this band or is this a full time line up?

This is for the most part a full time line up, although Mike plays drums in a local
rock band called Feast of Fetus and with his very long time black/death metal band 
Exhausted Prayer.
I also play piano in my spare time. This is something I’m looking to pursue on a more
serious level in the future.

10. What direction do you see your music heading into on future releases?

That’s always hard to tell. You can only sketch the parts out, move them around here and there, and leave the rest to chance. I never approach songwriting with a preconceived notion of what I’m about to compose. I feel that takes the magic away, it takes away the fun of adventure and discovery. I purely guide my songwriting by my current state of mind and let the music come to me.

11. What are some bands or musical styles that have influenced your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?

Opeth, Emperor, Akercocke, Bloodbath, Slayer, Megadeth, Stone Temple Pilots, 
Faith No More, My Dying Bride, Yann Tiersen, Pantera, Dead to this World, Old Skool hip hop.

12.Outside of music what are some of your interests?

I like to play piano in my spare time, read, play with my cats, go to the gym, clean my house, 
observe and analyze life. Be nostalgic.

13.Any final words or thoughts before we wrap up this interview?

Thank you very much for the chance to speak out my thoughts and experiences 
in the metal world, and thank you for your support. Cheers!

~Liz


Bandcamp
Facebook
Homepage
ReverbNation
Twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment